Monday, August 29, 2011

Studying English

I started studying English in the U.S. in August 2009. The first time I came to school to study English I felt nervous, happy, and excited at the same time because I wanted to learn English. English is difficult because there are many verb tenses. The most difficult thing about learning English is that there are a lot of varieties of English and accents. I wish I could read, write, speak and understand better English than I can now. I spend 4-5 hours every day learning English. I do speak English outside of school. I do read and write English outside of school in my daily life. I have the biggest problem communicating in English when I talk to the neighbors, at the store and when I go to the grocery store. I think learning a second language is easiest when you are 5-6 years old because you can remember better. The best advice I can give someone who is going to study English is to learn a lot of words, listen and practice speaking, and not to be afraid to try. When I came here, I knew zero English. When I compare my English now with my English when I first arrived here, I feel better because I listen and study better.

Tatyana

No comments: