Monday, August 29, 2011

Studying English

I started studying English in Minnesota, in the U.S. in 2011. I remember the first time I came to school to study English, I felt excited. The first thing is that I would to like to learn as much as possible. The first time I was very nervous. Now I feel better because I can do everything with no help. I learned a lot from my job. I remember I spoke my first words in English in my job. English is difficult because words are written in a different way, pronounced in a different way, and read in a different way, too. I think the hardest thing for me about learning English is to speak. When I do not spend any time studying at home, after school I speak more English than Spanish. I usually don’t have a problem when I speak English. I have more problems writing in it. I practice reading more. I like to read a lot. I only have problems when a person is talking to me. I don’t understand them because they are not speaking clearly. Learning a second language is easy. I think it’s easier when it’s between the age of 3 or 5 years because at that age a child is like a sponge. The mind is clean and it grabs everything it needs to know and absorbs it. The best advice I could give to someone who is going to study and learn English is that it’s not too late to learn; it all depends on the person. When I first came to the United States, I didn’t know English at all. I only knew how to say yes or no. It didn’t matter if was something was good or bad, I always said yes or no. Now it all depends on the question and I can give a good answer. When I compare the little English I knew back then to more English I know now, I feel so sure of myself to know more. I feel free and I’m not embarrassed to speak. In the past (and present) I have made mistakes with verbs. I understand when a person talks to me. That way I try to get another person to understand my English. My dream is to speak, read and write well in English. Little by little I know I will achieve it. I don’t know how or when but I know will. I like to think positive.

Rosa

No comments: