Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I remember...

I remember my mother. On March 23rd was the anniversary of my mother’s death. Her memory remains very strong inside of me and on this anniversary I am reminded of many memories.
I was the youngest of three children. I have an older brother and an older sister. My father was always serious and my mother always smiled. Each week my father would come home from his job so my mother was the only one who was always with us. My mother could not read or write but she could write our names. My mother was a very capable woman and was a very good worker. I admired her during New Year’s celebrations. Each year she would make a new dress for my sister and me and a new outfit for my brother. It was not an easy task. First she would go to a store to buy the cloth. Then she would look in the newspaper for ideas from models she saw. Next she would cut the cloth and then use the sewing machine to make the outfits. Every year I would have a different style of new clothing. My mother could knit sweaters, make pants, gloves and socks. I remember that my mother would wake up every morning at 5 am to begin making different types of pasta, rice, and soup. When I woke up my mother would go to work. My mother was never late for work. When I was very young and it was summer, it would be very hot because we had no fans at home. My mother would fan me so that I was able to sleep.
Although my mother has left me, I still remember her smile and that she supports me in my new life here.

Li

No comments: